Ronald R. Hugate, Jr., MD, FAAOSBoard-Certified Orthopedic Surgeon
Dr. Hugate is married and lives with his family in the Denver Metro Area. He hails from Virginia where he was born and raised in Williamsburg with his two brothers. Following high school, he then attended Virginia Tech where he earned a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering (Magna Cum Laude) in 1994. This was followed by medical school at Eastern Virginia Medical School and then orthopedic surgery residency at Penn State University. In 2003, he began a two-year fellowship at the Mayo Clinic, graduating in May 2005. Upon completion of the Ivin’s Fellowship, the Mayo Clinic awarded him the academic rank of “Instructor of Orthopedics.”
Dr. Hugate is active in research and the betterment of orthopedic care. He has written numerous scientific articles on subject ranging from treatment of bone cancers to improvement in orthopedic implant designs for joint replacement. He has also given multiple lectures regarding development of new strategies and techniques for improving orthopedic care. He continues to use his background in Mechanical Engineering to help develop new implants that are more functional and durable for his patients.
In addition to his commitment to excellence in orthopedic surgery, Dr. Hugate is also committed to service. He has participated in multiple medical mission trips to aid underserved populations of the world, most recently to Haiti in January of 2010 following the devastating earthquake. In addition, Dr. Hugate has proudly served our country as a Lieutenant Colonel in the United States Army reserves where he has been deployed 4 times (including deployments to combat hospitals in both Afghanistan and Iraq) in support of our troops. For his efforts in the Army, Dr. Hugate has twice been awarded the Army Commendation Medal.
Dr. Hugate is also an author. He, along with one of his former patients, Robert Holland PMP, have written a book entitled “The Handbook of Hip and Knee Replacement Surgery: Through the Eyes of the Patient, Surgeon, and Medical Team!” which is due to be published in September, 2011. The purpose of the book is to provide a comprehensive look at hip and knee replacement surgery from multiple perspectives and to help those considering joint replacement surgery to understand the process better and therefore make better decisions about their own care.
Dr. Hugate and his work have been featured on numerous television and radio programs to include local news stations, public radio and even ‘Animal Planet’. When Dr. Hugate is not working, he enjoys spending his time with his wife and children. Other hobbies include traveling, wood-working, high-performance cars, and car restoration.
- Undergraduate: Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Blacksburg, VA
- Medical: Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA
- Surgical Internship: Milton S. Hershey Medical Center, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Department of Orthopedics & Rehabilitation, Pennsylvania State University College of Medicine, Hershey, PA
- Ivins Research Fellowship: The Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Orthopedic Oncology Fellowship: The Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- Academic Rank: Instructor of Orthopedics – The Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- United States Army Reserve: Lieutenant Colonel – Medical Corps., 1998–present
- Virginia Army Reserve / National Guard: First Lieutenant – Medical Service Corps., Virginia Beach, VA., 1994–1998
- Army Commendation Medal, December 2003
- Army Commendation Medal, March 2011
- Founding Member – The Franklin H. Sim Society
- The Ivins Society (Mayo Clinic Orthopaedic Oncology Fellows)
- The Society of Military Orthopedic Surgeons (SOMOS)
- The Colorado Orthopedic Society
- The Denver Clinic for Extremities at Risk
- The Mayo Fellows’ Association
- The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
Dr. Ronald R. Hugate, Jr.
Dr. Hugate specializes in the treatment of a variety of orthopedic conditions and performs several orthopedic procedures including:
- Orthopedic Oncology
- Complex Joint Replacement and Reconstruction
- Bone Healing
- Hip Preservation